About Home Sharing
Home Sharing is simple. This guide is intended to help compatible, friendly and deserving people find each other. There are home owners who are people with extra room and home seekers who are looking for a home and eager to become housemates. It does not have to be complicated
The Home Sharing Trend
Over 60 organizations nationwide, from California to New England, have assisted thousands of homeshare participants since the 1970's make successful homeshare matches. Homesharing is a very normal arrangement. There are a multitude of reasons why people engage in Home Sharing.
- have empty, available space that can produce income to offset high property taxes;
- want to conserve resources by sharing;
- want to help provide needed workforce housing in their town;
- need home, property or living assistance;
- want to build community and reduce isolation with companionship;
- want to live mindfully with less environmental impact.
- know the cost of housing continues to climb;
- want options for affordable living;
- can have amenities unavailable in apartments;
- want to live in the towns near their work
- like the possibilities for service and companionship.
This guide was created to facilitate matches between compatible home seekers and home owners for all of these reasons. The aim is to help set appropriatel expectations and think through the details that maximize compatibility, safety, and privacy among people who become delighted to share their living. We provide personal, detailed interviews, describe criminal background checks and reference checking, a sample Living Together Agreement and information about leases and landlord/tenant laws to help achieve successful living together.
Not Emergency or Short Term Housing
Note: Homesharing is not the same as emergency or short-term housing. The process of completing a good homeshare arrangement can take time. Be patient. The intent should be to establish a long-term rental agreement with the stay an average of 8 months and a range of 6 months to 8 years.